Monroe College's Bronx campus is an ideal urban campus located in the bustling Fordham section.

New Rochelle

Located in downtown New Rochelle, the Monroe College New Rochelle campus is nestled in a diverse, thriving suburban community in Westchester County.

St. Lucia

Located on the Vide Boutielle Highway, Monroe College’s St. Lucia campus offers a practical education designed to give students a competitive edge in the workplace.


    1. Why is the FAFSA (Free Application for Student Aid) so important and what information will I need to complete it?

    In order to receive financial aid, students must fill out a 2020-2021 FAFSA. Below is a list of what is needed to complete the application.

    • Social Security Number – yours and your parents if you are dependent. Have the social security number card to ensure number is correct.
    • Date of Birth – yours and your parent(s) date of birth, if you are dependent.
    • Permanent Alien Registration Number – if you are not a citizen
    • Copy of student’s 2018 Federal Income Tax Return.

    If not yet filed, use last pay stubs or W2 for each job held during 2018, and answer the filing status question as “Will file”. 

    • Copy of parents’ 2018 Federal Income Tax Return.
    • If not yet filed, use each parents’ last pay stub or W2 for each job in 2018, and answer the filing status question as “Will file”. 
      • if you or your parents are not going to file but still earned income, answer filing status as will not file and just enter your 2018 income on the income line.

        Records of 2018 untaxed income for independent student and parent(s) of dependent student, such as:

        • Tax exempt interest income
        • Veterans’ non-education benefits such as disability, death pension, etc.
        • Money received by the student from another person.
        • Child support received for all children (Do not include foster care payments)
        • Untaxed portions of pensions ( Do not include rollovers)
        • Veterans’ non-education benefits (such as disability, death pension, etc.)
        • Untaxed payments to tax deferred pensions and retirement savings plans (on W-2)
        • Untaxed portion of IRA distributions (Do not include rollovers) 
        • Untaxed portion of IRA deductions  
        • Housing, food and other living allowances paid to members of the military, clergy & others (W2 in box 12Q)
        • Other untaxed income- such as workers’ compensation & disability (not untaxed SS benefits or SSI)

        2. Should I still complete the FAFSA even if I don’t think I will qualify for financial aid?

        Even if you don’t think you will qualify for aid, complete the FAFSA. Nearly everyone qualifies for some type of financial aid. You will still need the FAFSA to qualify for federal student and parent loans. You may also be eligible for scholarships assistance from the college, as well as work-study. Some assistances is not based on family income. Filing is free and unless you apply, you'll never know how much assistance you may be eligible to receive. Regardless of what you or your parents might make, the FAFSA should be filled out every year.

        3. Which comes first - applying to college or doing my FAFSA?

        You should apply for admission to the colleges you are interested in BEFORE filing your FAFSA. You should contact the admission’s office of the colleges, to make sure you have provided all the documentation they require. Once you apply to the colleges, complete your FAFSA, and make sure you include each school’s college code.  It is possible to file your FAFSA before applying for admission to a college, but the schools will generally not package an award offer for you until you have been admitted to their school.

        4. Why do I and one of my parents need an FSA ID?

        You will need the FSA ID to sign and submit the FAFSA electronically. Without one, you’ll need to print, sign and mail the FAFSA signature page to submit your application, which will delay the processing your FAFSA. The FSA ID will also give you access federal student aid websites, such as,  

        To create an FSA ID, simply  visit the Federal Student Aid website. You’ll need to provide an email address, select a username and password, and enter your full name, date of birth and Social Security number. If you’re applying for financial aid as a dependent, one of your parents will be required to sign the FAFSA. In that case, he or she needs a unique FSA ID to sign electronically. The parent creating the FSA ID must use a different email address than the student. Be sure to save your and parent FSA ID username, password and security information in a secure place.  

        If you or your parent forget your FSA ID, go to Federal Student Aid website and select “Forgot Username” or “Forgot Password” to reset your credentials. From there, you and/or your parent can either answer three challenge questions you originally created or request a secure code, using the email provided when you originally created your FSA ID.

        5. Can I complete my FAFSA without my parent’s information?

        Single students under 24 years of age who do not have children will need to provide parental information on the FAFSA, even if they are not living with their parents. The online FAFSA will ask you whether you are able to provide information about your parents. If you are not, you will have the option to indicate that you have special circumstances that make you unable to get your parents’ information. The site then allows you to submit your application without entering data about your parents. However, you will need to follow up with your college’s financial aid office about doing a dependency override, which if approved, would allow you to apply as an independent applicant. (You cannot be considered independent of your parents just because they refuse to help you with the FAFSA.)

        It is important for you to understand the following:

        • Although your FAFSA will be submitted, it will not be fully processed. You will not receive an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) and must immediately contact the financial aid office at the college or career school you plan to attend.
        • The financial aid staff may ask for additional information to determine whether you can be considered independent and have an EFC calculated without parent data. Gather as much written evidence of your situation as you can. Written evidence may include court or law enforcement documents; letters from a clergy member, school counselor or social worker; and/or any other relevant data that explains your special circumstance.
        • The financial aid office’s decision about your dependency status is final and cannot be appealed to the U.S. Department of Education.

        Special Circumstances can include:

        • Your parents are incarcerated.
        • You have left home due to an abusive family environment.
        • You do not know where your parents are and are unable to contact them (and you have not been adopted).

        You are older than 21 but not yet 24, are unaccompanied, and are either homeless or self-supporting and at risk of being homeless.

        6. What if my parents do not have citizenship status?

        Your parents’ citizenship status does not affect your eligibility for federal student aid. In fact, the FAFSA doesn’t even ask about your parents’ status.

        Note: If your parent does not have a Social Security number, you may enter all zeroes for him or her on the FAFSA where it asks for that information. You will need to print the Parent’s Signature Page and have your parent sign it. You then will need to mail the Signature Page to the address indicated.

        7. If my parents are divorced or separated, whose income should I use?

        You will use information on the parent who you lived with most during the last 12 months of the date you are filling your FAFSA. It does not matter if one parent claims you as a dependent for tax purposes. You will not report any information, including income for the parent you lived with  for the non-custodial parent (the parent you did not live with most within the last year). If you didn’t live with one of your parents or lived with both parents equally in the last 12 months, you will use the parent who you lived with most recently or provided the most financial support within the last 12 months. The financial aid office at the college can help you with this if you are not sure whose information to provide.

        8. What does an EFC mean and how is it calculated? 

        When you fill out your FAFSA, the federal government uses the information to calculate your Federal Expected Family Contribution to your education. They use a formula based on income, investments, savings, the size of your family and the number of family members enrolled in college at the same time. If you are considered a dependent student, your parents' financial information as well as yours will be used. If you are independent, only your financial information and household size will be used.

        If your EFC is between 0 and 5576, you may qualify for a PELL Grant, which for a full-time student could range between $3,097.50 to $328.50 for one of two semesters.

        If you have a high EFC code, this doesn't mean you can't get any help to go to school. It just means that any federal aid you receive is likely to come in the form of Federal Direct Student Loans. 

        If the EFC  There is no requirement that parents have to contribute that amount. Parents can sometimes help by providing you free lodging and food, paying insurance or phone bills or handling other expenses. Parents also have the option of borrowing from the PLUS loan program. If they are denied for a PLUS loan, you as a student will be able to borrow more from the federal student loan programs.

        9. What is the difference between grants, scholarships and loans?

        Grants can come from the Federal government, the State government as well as the college. The government grants are based on information from your FAFSA; the state grants, from your New York State TAP application; the college grants and/or scholarships are awarded by the college, based on the college’s criteria.  In addition, to these grants and scholarships, you may also qualify for scholarship from other organizations, such as Ronald McDonald, Coke-Cola, etc. You can also create a profile with to search for scholarships. This takes time and usually essays are required. You will need to start your search at least a year before you plan to start college. DO NOT pay anyone to do the FAFSA or pay for a scholarship or scholarship search.  Completing the FAFSA is FREE and searching for scholarships can be done on your own.

        10. What is work study?

        Work study is a federal program and it enables the student to earn money by working a part-time job. These jobs usually involve working for a department on your college campus, or for a non-profit organization that is off campus. Answering “yes” to this question on the FAFSA doesn’t obligate you to work; it only means you are interested in seeing if you are eligible at this point in the application process. You can decline the work-study award. If, however, you answer “no” to this question, schools will not include this in your financial award offer. And if you later decide you want work-study, the schools might not have any funds left to award. So it’s better to answer “yes” and decline it later than to answer “no” and risk not having access to federal work-study.

        11. How will I know what type of financial aid I am getting from each college?

        The Award Letter

        Award letters are sent to students who have been accepted. To ensure that you receive an award letter you would had to complete your FAFSA and list the appropriate college codes. Award letters are usually distributed during the spring of each year. The award letter will list the details of the financial aid for which you are eligible. The award letter will give you a breakdown of the cost of attendance for that particular school minus the estimated family contribution (EFC) which will then leave you with the types of financial aid you are able to receive. Once you have received the award letter, the school may often ask you to accept the amount of financial aid you would like to use towards your expenses. For example, should you choose not to use loans as a form of payment for your education you will have the option to decline this award on your award letter.

        Once you accept your award letter you will be set to receive the financial aid you have been awarded. Generally, your grant or loan will cover a full academic year (two semesters) and your school will disburse (pay out) your money in at least two payments called disbursements.

        If you’re a parent taking out a Direct PLUS Loan to help pay for your child’s education expenses, your loan funds will be disbursed according to the same type of schedule (usually, at least twice per academic year).

        If you’re a first-year undergraduate student and a first-time borrower, you may have to wait 30 days after the first day of your enrollment period (semester, trimester, etc.) for your first disbursement. Check with your school to see whether this rule applies there.

        If you’re a first-time borrower of a Direct Subsidized Loan or a Direct Unsubsidized Loan, you must complete entrance counseling before you receive your first loan disbursement. If you are a parent taking out a Direct PLUS Loan to help pay for your child’s education, usually you will not be required to participate in entrance counseling.

        12. What happens if my or my parents living or financial circumstances change after I complete my FAFSA?

        Families aren't only making a financial commitment for the first year, but three years after that. It’s good to know how a university will assist you if something bad happens, say, there's a loss of employment, death in the family, drastic change in income or unusual high medical expenses. You must let your financial aid counselor know at the school you are attending. You will be required to provide supporting documentation.

        13. In addition to tuition and fees, are there other costs that I have to think about?  

        Some of the costs that you should think about are:

        • Transportation - to and from school, if you are a commuter student, to and from home during semesters break if you living on campus
        • Books and supplies
        • Computer/Laptop
        • Food – you may have a limited meal plan available to you. Check with your college.
        • Dormitory Supplies - sheets, pillows, blankets, fan, storage bins, small refrigerator, hangers, suitcase, iron, ironing board, food containers. Think about the items that you use when you are at home or have in your room.
        • Clothing – proper clothing for the climate of your college’s location. 

        Some of these expenses may be covered with your financial aid, but others will not be, because you will need to purchase them before you start school.

        FAFSA & TAP guide 2020 - 2021 igrad